Discover Lehigh Valley® shares locations to safely enjoy fall foliage and unwind like a local
LEHIGH VALLEY, Pa., September 23, 2020 – The great outdoors and rolling countryside of Lehigh Valley are calling. With peak fall foliage occurring in mid-October, now is the ideal time to plan a fall getaway. Discover Lehigh Valley®, a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting and driving tourism to Lehigh and Northampton counties, is sharing colorful locations for those seeking fall travel plans.
“Travelers pursuing scenic drives, walkable historic cities, challenging hikes and multi-use trails will find their perfect fit in Lehigh Valley this fall. Located a quick drive from Philadelphia and New York City, our region provides a much-needed escape to safely relax among vibrant fall foliage,” says Alicia Quinn, vice president of marketing and strategic alliances for Discover Lehigh Valley. “After discovering Lehigh Valley’s stunning fall foliage, enjoy our welcoming outdoor dining options, handcrafted libations, award-winning accommodations and more.”
A fall getaway is made possible in Lehigh Valley with these recommendations:
Fantastic Fall Foliage
- Historic Bethlehem Museums & Sites – Nominated to the U.S. Tentative List for World Heritage Designation, Historic Bethlehem welcomes visitors to enjoy a self-guided tour of the city’s 19 historic buildings, 20 acres of land and two National Historic Landmarks.
- Delaware & Lehigh National Heritage Corridor – Bike, hike or stroll along the Delaware & Lehigh National Heritage Corridor, which spans 165 miles and tells stories of railroads, canals, rivers and trails.
- Lehigh Valley Covered Bridge Tour – The drivable Lehigh Valley Covered Bridge Tour is approximately 50 miles long and allows visitors to discover the region’s seven covered bridges originally built in the 1800s.
- Scenic Lehigh Valley Drives – Cruise along Route 611 to explore the Slate Belt’s fall foliage covering dozens of small towns including Nazareth and Bangor. Then hike, bike or walk the four-mile John M. Mauser Nature Education Trail System in Lower Mount Bethel Township. To catch a picturesque fall sunset glistening against the foliage, traverse the rolling hills of Lookout Drive and Mountain Drive near Lehigh University.
- THE LINK Trail Network of Lehigh Valley – An interconnected network of multi-use trails, THE LINK consists of 125 miles of paths available for biking, running, walking, fishing and other outdoor activities.
- Hawk Mountain Sanctuary – A premier trail for hiking and birdwatching, Hawk Mountain Sanctuary is located along the Appalachian flyway. The new accessible trail to the South Lookout ensures access for all.
- Grim's Orchards Fall Festival (open through November 1) – Enjoy rolling fall views of Lehigh Valley on a hayride. Pick apples and pumpkins, explore a corn maze and more at Grim’s Orchard. Visit DiscoverLehighValley.com/Fall for additional pick-your-own farms and interactive fall fun map.
Eat, Drink and Stay
- Lehigh Valley is a diverse culinary destination. From small cafés and farm-to-table dining to award-winning eats and celebrity chefs, visitors will enjoy the region’s wide restaurant offerings.
- Experience locally grown ingredients and exceptional flavor profiles along Lehigh Valley’s award-winning craft beer scene or locally made spirits and handcrafted cocktails at Eight Oaks Farm Distillery.
- Sample Lehigh Valley award-winning wines made from a variety of grapes, including the region’s signature Chambourcin, which helped Lehigh Valley earn American Viticultural Area distinction.
- Conclude the perfect weekend cozying up at a local hotel or bed and breakfast.
Visit DiscoverLehighValley.com for more things to do and follow @LehighValleyPa on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
About Discover Lehigh Valley
Discover Lehigh Valley®, the official destination marketing organization of Pennsylvania’s Lehigh and Northampton counties, is dedicated to driving economic growth and strengthening local pride through tourism to the region. Just 60 minutes north of Philadelphia and 90 minutes west of New York City, Lehigh Valley is home to must-see attractions and festivals, world-class sporting events, thrilling outdoor recreation, renowned colleges and universities, and historic sites including Bethlehem, a National Historic Landmark District and nominee on the U.S. Tentative List for World Heritage Designation. Many of America’s favorite brands such as Crayola®, Peeps®, Mike & Ike®, Martin Guitars, Mack Trucks and Olympus reign from Lehigh Valley. Visit DiscoverLehighValley.com and follow @LehighValleyPa.