Discover Lehigh Valley is closely monitoring the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak as the situation continues to evolve and is staying in close contact with our partners and industry leaders including the State of Pennsylvania, the U.S. Travel Association, Destinations International, the CDC, and both Lehigh and Northampton Counties.
On March 13, the President of the United States declared the COVID-19 outbreak a national emergency. It is critical that individuals do their part to help slow the spread of the coronavirus by practicing social distancing. The White House and CDC and have recommended to avoid social gatherings in groups of 10+ people at this time.
If you are feeling the negative effect of the virus on any business level, please contact Alex Michaels so we can help as best as possible. We also ask that members of the local tourism & hospitality community complete this survey to help us stay informed of your current situation.
If you are hosting a major event that has been cancelled and/or your business is altering normal offerings or operations, please contact Alicia Quinn. We are compiling a list of changes to tourism-related happenings that will be updated as more information is available and will be used as a resource across our media channels.
The DLV team will remain vigilant and will continue to update this page with talking points and resources for partners below.
Travel advisory: As a temporary safety measure, the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission (PTC) is no longer accepting cash and credit cards; All tolls will be assessed electronically via E-ZPass or the PA Turnpike TOLL BY PLATE program. Read more from the PTC.
Governor Wolf's Phased Reopening Plan for Pennsylvania
All 67 counties in Pennsylvania remain under a Stay at Home Order through May 8. Certain businesses such as golf courses and privately-owned campgrounds will be permitted to begin operation on Friday, May 1. View Governor's Wolf's phased reopening plan for Pennsylvania.
Discover Lehigh Valley Strategy
- Discover Lehigh Valley (DLV) will remain up to date on and share the latest news and resources to help prevent the spread of misinformation.
- At this time, DLV has put a pause on advertising and sponsored marketing campaigns. We will continue to showcase small businesses throughout the region including restaurants, locally-owned shops, etc. on our social media channels as well as outdoor scenes, at-home activities, and positive news stories. Our message will focus on the strength of the Lehigh Valley community, with a positive hope for the future.
Talking Points via U.S. Travel Association
- This is an incredibly challenging time, and we hope everyone around the world is practicing the guidance. of public health authorities and taking. all the necessary precautions to keep themselves and their communities safe. The health and well-being of the public is first and foremost. The challenge in moments of public health concern is to react properly to the situation, but to not overreact.
- Travel supports 15.8 million jobs that are immediately threatened.
- The coronavirus impact on travel is catastrophic:
- Loss of 8 million jobs as a result of travel declines by the end of April.
- Loss of travel-generated jobs alone more than doubles total unemployment rate (3.5% to 8.4%) by
the end of April.
- U.S. economy projected to enter a protracted recession based on the expected downturn in travel
- Right now the industry’s focus is on:
- Getting relief to travel businesses so they can retain their employees.
- Being prepared to help lead an economic recovery.
- The impact on the travel industry and the whole U.S. economy is going to be very significant, and there must be policy steps to address that. 15.8 million Americans—1 out of every 10 U.S. workers—depend on the travel industry for their jobs.
- This is a very difficult time, and we hope everyone around the world is listening to the guidance of public health authorities and taking all the necessary precautions to keep themselves and their communities safe.
Air Service Impact
For the latest information on air travel, visit the Federal Aviation Administration's coronavirus update page.
- State of Pennsylvania
- Destinations International Travel Resources
- Destinations International Crisis Communications Handbook
- U.S. Travel Association Toolkit
- CDC COVID-19 Summary
- CDC Information for Travelers
- PA Gov. Wolf Administration Preparedness Action
- PCMA: What Business Events Professionals Need to Know About the COVID-19 Coronavirus
- Meetings Mean Business: Coronavirus Resources
- American Hotel & Lodging Association Resource Page
- National Restaurant Association Resource Page
- Loans for Small Businesses in Pennsylvania
- Business Resources via Facebook
This page was last updated on Monday, April 20.