Lehigh Valley is a hidden gem for fishing enthusiasts seeking a diverse range of angling experiences. From serene rivers to picturesque lakes, this region offers an abundance of opportunities to cast your line and reel in some unforgettable memories. Whether you're a seasoned angler or a novice looking for a relaxing escape, Lehigh Valley has something for everyone.
A Few Tips Before You Cast Your Line
- Know the Regulations: Familiarize yourself with Pennsylvania's fishing regulations, including license requirements, size limits, and creel limits for various fish species.
- Seasonal Considerations: Different fish species are more active during certain seasons. Research the best time to target your preferred species to increase your chances of success.
- Choose the Right Bait and Gear: Tailor your bait and tackle to the fish you're targeting. Whether it's live bait, lures, or flies, having the right gear can make a significant difference.
- Practice Patience: Fishing requires patience. Spend time observing the water, studying the currents, and waiting for the perfect moment to make your cast.
- Respect the Environment: Leave no trace and respect the natural beauty of the area. Dispose of trash properly and consider practicing catch-and-release to help preserve fish populations.
Best Fishing Spots in Lehigh Valley
The Lehigh River is a popular destination for both fly-fishing and spin fishing. Its cool, clear waters are home to a variety of fish species including trout, bass, and catfish, though it’s mostly known for its abundance of common carp.
You'll want to check out Riverview Park, along Lehigh River in Easton, where you can look out to New Jersey and see where the Delaware River and Lehigh River intersect. Or explore Allentown spots along the Lehigh River such as Kimmet's Lock, Canal Park, or South Mountain Reservoir.
Little Lehigh Creek and Jordan Creek, are known for their remarkable trout population. Little Lehigh Creek is a limestone spring creek that offers exceptional fly-fishing opportunities. It's managed as a catch-and-release area, ensuring sustainable fishing for years to come.
A warm water fishing trip on Leaser Lake is a wonderful experience. Throughout the year, the Commission stocks the lake with trout and shore fishing is easily accessible. It is also great for catching Muskellunge.
Exploring Nearby Attractions
While fishing is unparalleled in the region, Lehigh Valley has much more to offer. After a day of angling, consider exploring some nearby attractions. If you're visiting with family, unleash your creativity at the Crayola Experience, an interactive family attraction where you can learn about and engage in colorful art activities. Adrenaline seekers can enjoy thrilling rides for all ages at Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom or HangDog Outdoor Adventure. Indulge in a wine-tasting adventure, or grab a pint at one of the local breweries. Explore local galleries, museums, and theaters to immerse yourself in Lehigh Valley's vibrant arts and cultural scene.
Lehigh Valley, PA, is a fishing haven that promises memorable experiences for anglers of all skill levels. With its diverse fishing spots and a range of nearby attractions, this region offers the perfect blend of outdoor adventure and leisurely exploration. So, pack your fishing gear, prepare for a relaxing getaway, and immerse yourself in the natural beauty and fishing opportunities that Lehigh Valley has to offer.