Gran Fondo Hincapie Lehigh Valley
June 3, 2023 • Valley Preferred Cycling Center
We partnered with Hincapie to bring a Gran Fondo Spring Classic cycling race to Lehigh Valley June 3, 2023. You may be asking yourself, well what's a "gran fondo"? It's a style of cycling race that includes a very large number of riders. The phrase comes from Italian and loosely translates to "big ride". Events like this are popular worldwide, from Australia to Europe. The Gran Fondo Hincapie Lehigh Valley will start and finish at the Valley Preferred Cycling Center in Trexlertown and will welcome anywhere from 800-2200 people. Riders choose from three course tracks, ranging from 15 miles to 80 miles, that include many of the covered bridges in Lehigh Valley. At the conclusion of the race, the Hincapie crew hosts their signature Gran Fondo Hincapie Family Festival inside the Velodrome for all attendees and family members/guests to attend. This is the second time Lehigh Valley is partnering with Hincapie to bring a Gran Fondo cycling event to the region. Interested in Volunteering? Sign up!
Friday June 2 | 5–10 p.m.
2023 Friday Nights Under The Lights at Valley Preferred Cycling Center
Gran Fondo Hincapie registration includes entry to join us at the premiere velodrome in the United States. Friday Nights Under the Lights, a tradition started in 1975, hosts the best track cycling athletes in the world. After you pick up your Gran Fondo Hincapie rider packet, come view the action-packed racing that has made the Valley Preferred Cycling Center famous around the world. Take in the sights and sounds, enjoy a beverage, and get excited for the ultimate weekend of cycling.
Tickets and additional information will be provided for participants in your rider packet. Packets can be picked up at the Valley Preferred Cycling Center from 11 am – 6 pm on Friday, June 2nd
Friday June 2 | 5–7 p.m.
Late Packet Pickup/On-site Registration @ Valley Preferred Cycling Center
If you pre-registered for Gran Fondo Hincapie-Lehigh Valley, you’ll need to pick up your packet to get everything you need for the big day—plus a few extras from our great sponsors. On-site registration is available for last-minute decision-makers as well. Event merchandise will be available for purchase, but quantities and sizes are subject to availability. To ensure that you get the clothing that you’d like, we suggest pre-ordering yours when you pre-register for the event online. Size exchanges at the event are available on a first come, first served basis.
- Note: Packet Pickup and On-site Registration will be closed from 4:00 – 5:00 PM as we will need to relocate to the outside of the Valley Preferred Cycling Center. Warmups for the evening track races begin at 5:00 PM and participants will not be allowed on the track after this time.
Saturday June 3 | 6–7:30 a.m.
Final Packet Pickup & On-site Registration @ Valley Preferred Cycling Center
- If you plan to pick up your rider packet on the morning of the event, be sure you arrive a little early. Allow plenty of time for parking, waiting in line to receive your packet, gearing up, and making your way to the start corral. On-site registration will shut down promptly at 7:30 am to allow our ride officials, volunteers, and staff to make sure everybody is safely lined up for an 8:00 am start.
Saturday June 3 | 8:00 a.m. 2023 Ride Start
- Make sure you are in the start corral and ready to go at 8 AM. Watch as George Hincapie and other VIP guests in attendance make their way to the start line. Get ready to be showered with confetti and cheered on by the crowd as you depart for your ride!
Saturday June 3 | 10 a.m.–4 p.m. Family Festival & Expo + Rider Expo
- Your Gran Fondo Hincapie registration includes complementary food, beverage, and entertainment for you and your family. Join us after you roll across the finish line to celebrate and share your stories from the road!
Saturday June 3 | 3:00 p.m. 2023 Award Ceremony
- Gran Men’s Overall – 1st, 2nd, 3rd
- Gran Women’s Overall – 1st, 2nd, 3rd
- Medio Men’s Overall – 1st, 2nd, 3rd
- Medio Women’s Overall – 1st, 2nd, 3rd
- Piccolo Men’s Overall – 1st
- Piccolo Women’s Overall – 1st
- Junior Challenge Men – 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
- Junior Challenge Women- 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
- KOM Gran – 1st
- KOM Medio – 1st
- QOM Gran – 1st
- QOM Medio – 1st
- KOM Junior Challenge – 1st, 2nd, 3rd
- QOM Junior Challenge – 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Rest Stops & Key Spots for Spectating
Looking for a place to catch the riders along the course route? Check out these four rest stops along the way.
Rest Stop #1: CJ Hummels
Host: Lehigh Valley Wheelmen
Music: John Pruitt Band
Rest Stop #2: Spade International Activity Center
Rest Stop #3: Ontelaunee Park
Host: Boy Scout Troop 89
Music: The Royal Picks
Rest Stop #4: Hope Community Church
Host: StatTrack Cycling Team
Drive In: 90 minutes west of New York City, 60 minutes north of Philadelphia, and less than three hours from Washington, D.C., Lehigh Valley is in the center of the Northeast Corridor.
Fly In: Lehigh Valley International Airport (ABE) is conveniently located in central Allentown, PA. ABE flies nonstop to many leisure and business destinations aboard Allegiant, American, Delta, and United Airlines.
Stay at the host hotels and make it an overnight stay:
Delta by Marriott 7736 Adrienne Dr., Breinigsville, PA 18031
Delta by Marriott is offering a discounted rate to anyone that mentions they are attending or participating in the Grand Fondo. The rate is $149.00 per night. Book now.
Hyatt Place Allentown Lehigh Valley 621 Grange Rd., Allentown, PA 18106
Valley Preferred Cycling Center
The Valley Preferred Cycling Center, also known as “T-Town” or the “Velodrome”, is located in Trexlertown and is proclaimed as the Bicycle Racing Capital of the World. Many Olympians, as well as recreational cyclists, have raced on the 333.3m concrete track. The Velodrome is the starting/finishing point for the Hincapie Gran Fondo Lehigh Valley.
Things to Do Nearby
The communities of Macungie, Emmaus, and Trexlertown thrive in keeping their hometown roots strong, while also attracting many consumers to the area. Check out the Lock Ridge Park/Furnace Museum in your downtime, or for any foodies, try a famous Yocco’s Hot Dog, at the nearby Emmaus location. Grab a pint and a bite to eat at Samuel Adams Brewhouse, conveniently located at The Center at Holiday Inn in Trexlertown, not far from the Velodrome.