Lehigh Valley Celebrates National Travel And Tourism Week
Toolkit for Local Partners and Stakeholders
May 7–13, 2023
Join Discover Lehigh Valley and the U.S. Travel Association during National Travel & Tourism Week (NTTW), May 7 – 13, 2023. NTTW 2023 celebrates the industry’s critical role in powering economies, communities and connections. By moving #TravelForward, we demonstrate our industry’s importance. The travel industry fuels every industry, in every community– and our success is the nation’s success. From education to new business growth to advancing manufacturing and more—when we move #TravelForward, we move America forward.
Jump to a section below to learn more about how you can incorporate National Travel & Tourism Week into your messaging.
Lehigh Valley Tourism Statistics
Our communities benefit from the spirit of travel, which permeates through small businesses, unique landmarks, and all those who welcome residents and visitors alike with a smile and hospitality. The tourism & hospitality industry supports 26,500 jobs in Lehigh Valley. Below are the regional tourism economy fast facts.
According to Longwoods International, Travel USA Visitor Profile:
- In 2021 Lehigh Valley welcomed 16.1 million overnight visitors; up 28.6% from 2020.
- 81% of visitors to Lehigh Valley are repeat visitors
- 57% of travelers have visited the region within the last 12 months.
- $565M Overnight visitor spending
- $1.1b Total visitor spending (overnight and day trips)
According to STR (Smith Travel Research):
- $113.26 Average Daily Rate (ADR) (Fiscal Year 21/22)
- 73.8% Hotel Occupancy (Fiscal Year 21/22)
- 1,754,339 hotel room demand (Fiscal Year 21/22)
Key Statistics from the U.S. Travel Association
- In 2019, the United States saw $1.1 trillion in traveler spending. These travels generated a total of $2.6 trillion in economic output and supported a total of 15.8 million American jobs.
- Travel spending remained at only 78% of 2019 totals in 2021—a LOSS OF $600 BILLION in potential economic impact in 2021 alone—much of which is due to the lagging recovery of the international inbound, business meetings and events sectors.
- The leisure & hospitality industry accounted for 11% of pre-pandemic U.S. employment but represented a staggering 73% OF ALL JOBS STILL LOST in February 2022.
- Without the tax revenue generated by travel and tourism, each household would pay $1,398 more in taxes per year.
Graphics for Social Media
A number of graphics showcasing Lehigh Valley specific statistics have been created by the DLV team. Feel free to download the various sizes by clicking on the respective links below each sample image. Once the image opens, save or download to use across your social channels as we honor the #TravelForward during #NTTW23.