DLV's Virtual Annual Meeting
November 9, 2021 at 12:00 p.m.
Missed the meeting? Watch a replay below:
Discover Lehigh Valley® Annual Report 2020-21
The Annual Report from fiscal year 2020-21 is available. Download the full document, including PR wins and financials, or scroll through a brief synopsis below.
Discover Lehigh Valley® contracted with Longwoods International to analyze visitor data of those that travel to the region. According to Longwoods' Travel USA Visitor Profile, 2020:
- Lehigh Valley welcomed 12.5 million visitors
- 20% increase of visitors from the commonwealth in 2020 from 2018
- 81% traveled by car
- 41% of travelers planned their trip within 1 month or less of the actual visit
- Experiencing the outdoors ranked #2 for overnight visitors and daytrippers
- Average per party spend was $281
- 69% of visitors were very satisfied with their overall trip experience
- 10% increase in guests finding value for their money
DLV also contracts with Smith Travel Research (STR), the recognized leader in hospitality benchmarking. DLV analyzes a monthly report who collects data from hotels in the region. The 4th quarter of the fiscal year began to show steady increases.
STR At A Glance:
- $104.46 Average Daily Rate (ADR)
- 77.6% Hotel Occupancy in June 2021
- 145,371 peak hotel room demand in June 2021
Marketing, Advertising, & Public Relations
A revamped 2021 Media Kit provided advertising opportunities, including social media posts, sponsored content in newsletters, blog features, and native display advertising. A $50 targeted 5-day Musikfest promotion on Facebook resulted in 246,244 earned impressions for the virtual hybrid annual event. A 16 Week Spring Campaign to help drive day and overnight visitation—DLV’s largest effort since COVID-19 began, reaching audiences of Philadelphia Magazine and Lehigh Valley Style, Google search & display ads, travel-booking websites like VisitPA.com, and outdoor billboards. Of all the learnings from this past year, the importance of collaboration and teamwork really stands out.
- Relationships with Fig Lehigh Valley and writers, including Paul Kita, to help build a library of relevant content.
- Targeted local billboards with Adams Outdoor
- Social media channels touting happenings and trip ideas for the Mid-Atlantic market
Public Relations: Targeting editorial calendars with specific pitches, Lehigh Valley landed in national and regional headlines totaling an advertising value of $1.2 million, while reaching 1.3 billion readers.
Results of Combined Marketing, Advertising, and Public Relations Efforts:
- 265,000 Total Fans on Social Media
- 50% User Session Increase
- 600,000 users engaged with DiscoverLehighValley.com
- 1.5 million pageviews
- 2 min average time per session
Sales & Services
Discover Lehigh Valley’s sales and services team engaged with their customers and continued educating them on the many meeting spaces, venues, and advantages to hosting events in Lehigh Valley. The team remained active and vigilant to share information about state and local guidelines while continuing to engage with current and prospective clients. The team engaged with clients through virtual itineraries (pictured above), guiding planners through Lehigh Valley on how to get here, meeting hotels and venues, and attractions.
Through partnership with Just Born and the Crayola Experience™ Easton, the sales team hosted the inaugural PEEPS® Meet Diorama Contest, aimed at keeping meeting planners, sports event organizers and partners engaged, while many were at home.
The Lehigh Valley Certified Tourism Ambassador (CTA) program had a very successful first fiscal year, adding 70 Lehigh Valley CTA's. Our CTA's can be found in hotels, attractions, restaurants, etc.
Meetings Recovery Campaign in Spring 2021 targeting over 7,000 unique meeting planners in Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey. In order to continue momentum of educating clients, the team created and hosted a 30 minute virtual familiarization tour program resulting in.
- 56 Meeting planner attendees
- 142,500 Impressions on Facebook + LinkedIn
The team turned to video technology in order to stay engaged with partners and keep a pulse on happenings in Lehigh Valley. DLV promoted these Partner Spotlight Videos on various social channels such as LinkedIn, YouTube, and Twitter.