Williams Township Historical Society
Founded in 1976 as the offshoot of the Township’s community-wide Bicentennial Celebration by an enthusiastic committee of township history lovers, the Society – true to its mission of researching and sharing the history of the township — has produced a history of the township, quarterly newsletters (since 1977), and several local history books. It holds three major meetings a year, free to the public. While Williams Township Historical Society does not have a proprietary site of its own, it holds meetings in local township venues easily located by GPS (Please note that the map on this website uses the location of the Williams Township Municipal building to situate you at a central point within the township). Programs feature research-based speakers who show the local area’s relevance to larger national events. Members, often descendants of former early residents, are enrolled from across the United States.
Williams Township itself, founded 1750, is home to four structures on the National Register of Historic Places – the Coffeetown Grist Mill, Isaac Stout House, Jacob Arndt House, and Camelback Stone Arch Bridge on Durham Rd. A self-guided historic driving tour, available April 27 and thereafter, will direct visitors past the historic-register structures, as well as seven one-room school houses, three historic churches, three cemeteries with headstones dating back to the earliest settlers, scenic wonders (Hexenkopf Rock), active farms, a former stagecoach inn, the site of Mammy Morgan’s tavern and well, and the canal path along the Delaware Canal, from northern to southern end of the township, ending at Groundhog Lock, site of a county park and the lost village of Uhlersville. Most structures, privately owned, can be viewed from the township roads. Fry’s Run Park, just off route 611 S., offers a spot for relaxation.