Old Jail Museum
The Old Jail Museum was built in 1871 and used as the county jail until January 1995 when it was purchased by Tom and Betty Lou McBride of Jim Thorpe. The massive stone building is an outstanding example of 19th Century prison architecture, and is on the National Register of Historic Buildings.
Sitting high above the town the castle-like building contains 72 rooms, including 27 main cells; 16 eerie, solitary confinement cells in the ghost-filled dungeon; and a five-room apartment for the original warden. The cell block was the site of the hanging in the late 1880s of seven Irish miners accused of being Molly Maguires.
See you in Jail - the Old Jail!
Be Sure Not to Miss
- Cell 17, containing the mysterious handprint-on-the wall left by a condemned man in 1877 before his hanging for murder when he proclaimed his innocence.
- A reproduction of the original gallows used to hang four men at one time is also on display.
- The scary dungeon.
- A report on the oppression of miners which brought about the establishment of unions in the coal mines
- A retelling of the “Day of the Rope”, the day on which four accused Molly Maguires were hanged at one time inside the Old Jail.
Tour Hours & Admission
Tours are guided Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day, every day except Wednesday. The Old Jail is closed Wednesdays. Tours are held weekends only in September and October. Tours begin at noon and are offered every 20 minutes until the last tour at 4:30 p.m.
Admission is $6 adults; $5 seniors over 65 and high school students; and $4 children age 6 to 12. No charge for children 5 and under.
- Group Friendly (10+):
- Gift Shop: