Lehigh Valley Charter High School for the Arts
The Lehigh Valley Charter High School for the Arts (Charter Arts) is an audition-based, tuition-free, public charter school that provides a comprehensive curriculum for high school students, grades 9-12, who have a passion for the arts. The school is located in the heart of South Bethlehem's arts district.
Since opening in 2003, Charter Arts continues its legacy as one of the most respected high schools for the arts in the nation.
The current student body that consists of more than 600 students who hail from a ten-county region in eastern Pennsylvania travel into Bethlehem daily from towns as far north as the Poconos, as far south as the Philadelphia suburbs, and as far west as Lancaster County.
Any student who resides in Pennsylvania, who is entering 9th-12th grade is eligible to audition. Auditions are held in February/March for the following school year. Auditions are by appointment only and can be scheduled by filling out an Audition Request form located on the school's admissions page at www.CharterArts.org.
The school offers a full complement of core courses at the College Preparatory (CP), Honors, and Advanced Placement (AP) levels. Students major in one of seven artistic areas: dance, instrumental music, literary arts, production arts, theatre, visual arts, or vocal music. The course catalog consists of courses ranging from traditional core courses (math, science, social studies, etc.) to college-level courses in the arts. Students spend a portion of their day in their artistic major classes and a portion of their day in their core academic classes.
Charter Arts' rigorous curriculum fosters both academic and artistic excellence for its students. The school’s impressive Future Ready PA Index ranking, Advanced Placement (AP) exam statistics, Keystone exam statistics, SAT scores, prestigious artistic accolades, and graduation rate are a testament to the outstanding education Charter Arts provides. Read the School Profile.
Charter Arts was one of only 349 schools in the nation to be named a 2018 National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence by the U.S. Department of Education. In addition,
- In 2020, Charter Arts earned the distinction as a Title I High Achievement School for the fourth year in a row, placing it in the top 5% of all Title I high schools in Pennsylvania.
- On Niche's 2021 Best High School Rankings, Charter Arts earned #1 Public High School Teachers in PA (out of 666) and #1 Charter High School in Pennsylvania.
- Charter Arts earned a Silver Award for its impressive ranking on U.S. News & World Report's 2019 Best High Schools for the Arts in America list.
- On the Keystone Exams, Charter Arts has ranked in the TOP 5 of all public and charter high schools in the Lehigh Valley for highest combined proficiency scores.
- Charter Arts' student and faculty earn countless accolades every year- read more on the school website, CharterArts.org