The first pumped municipal water system in America was done in Historic Moravian Bethlehem at the 1762 Waterworks. This building is a National Historic Landmark, a Historic Civil Engineering Landmark, and an American Water Landmark, due to the significance it played in history.
The Monocacy Creek was the only source of power that turned the 18-foot diameter wheel that fed five cisterns in the town. A nearby spring served as the main water source for the city until the early 20th century.
This site is operated by Historic Bethlehem Museums & Sites and is only open for special events during the year.