In 2012, one of my personal New Year’s resolutions is to travel more. Another resolution is just the opposite; to get myself to the events that are happening right in my backyard. With that, here are my top 5 things that I’m looking forward to this year in Lehigh Valley.
1. Lehigh Valley IronPigs I went to my first ever IronPigs games this past season and I can officially say I’m now hooked. I’ve been a Phillies fan for life, but sometimes it’s hard to get tickets or I don’t feel like spending an arm and a leg. For $9/ticket, you can’t beat the price of a Pigs game.
2. Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom Just because I’m 25 doesn’t mean I have to grow up. I recently purchased a season pass for Dorney Park. I love roller coasters and this year they have a new one they’re unveiling: Stinger. My season pass was only $99 (which you’d spend in about 2 visits) and it also includes admission to autumn’s Halloween Haunt.
3. Celtic Classic - September 28 - 30 Whether or not you’re lucky enough to have some Irish in your genes, the Celtic Classic in Bethlehem is something you won’t want to miss. Some of the highlights are the highland games, the food, and oh yea … they have beer and whiskey too.
4. Oktoberfest - October 5-7 & 12-14 It’s no secret that I love beer. A few of my first blog posts for Discover Lehigh Valley involved a tour of Weyerbacher and my Top 5 Beer Destinations. I missed this past Oktoberfest due to scheduling conflicts, but I’ll bet you a beer I’ll be at the next one.
5. SteelJam Festival – November 9 & 10 I went to the inaugural SteelJam festival this past year and jammed out to Umphrey’s McGee, Keller Williams, and The Big Dirty. It’s was a fun loving festival of jambands that didn’t involve having to camp on uncomfortable grounds or go without a shower for the weekend. I imagine this next year’s is going to be even bigger and better.
There are plenty of other events that didn’t make my “top 5” list that I’ll get to, like Musikfest, The Great Allentown Fair and the celebrations for Allentown’s 250th and Lehigh County’s 200th Anniversaries. Oh yea, another thing I'm hoping for in 2012 is that the world makes it past December 21. Just sayin'...
What's your top 5?