Four days from now, thousands of Lehigh Valley kids (including those who think their dirty soccer uniforms automatically jump out of duffel bags, walk to the laundry room and re-appear without the blueberry slushy stains) will celebrate Mother's Day.
I have 21 years experience on the mom side, and way more from the kid perspective, so here's some advice ...
2) If you are taking mom out to dinner, do realize the restaurant staff gives up spending time with their moms and/or kids to serve you. A nice tip would really be appreciated.
3) Don't assume mom will enjoy breakfast in bed consisting of malted milk balls floating in milk-soaked coco-puffs. (One of my sister's ideas ... not mine.)
4) If you're getting mom flowers, do plan in advance. Something from Phoebe Floral or Dan Schantz, for example, will look way better than something off the back of a truck ... and probably cost the same.
5) Don't underestimate the importance of a card or note. If you're not the "gushy" type, buy a funny one, or make your own (bonus points for that).
6) Do keep mom's interests in mind if planning an outing. You may think a day shooting at Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays is the ultimate gift, but she'd really enjoy a round of golf at Bear Rock Junction (or vice versa).
Ok, I've shared some of my thoughts. How have you celebrated past Mother's Days?