Despite being raised in Lehigh Valley, I’m not one of those people who has ever come to love the winter. When I was a kid I did: the sledding, the sliding around and the staying home from school. But as an adult, the winter weather just isn’t fun: the shoveling, the scraping, the cleaning off of the car and the driving in it.
So in an attempt to brighten my outlook on winter, I think I’ll attend next weekend’s 3rd Annual Snowblast Winter Festival in the quaint borough of Emmaus. Created to draw people into its charming downtown, there’s a long laundry list of activities scheduled for February 7 & 8. The things I’d like most to check out include:
- Ice sculpting demonstrations
- A visit with Iditarod sled dogs
- Horse-drawn carriage rides
- Slippery tug of war (whatever that is!)
- Hearth-side cooking and storytelling in the historic 1803 House
- An ice skating demonstration by Ice Princess Laura Wetzel and her dog, Snowflake (I don’t think the dog skates; he’s just a mascot of sorts)
It sounds like a great community event, which is just the kind I like to attend. And who knows? Maybe if I stay outside long enough, the numbness in my feet from the cold will subside and I will actually start to enjoy winter. I’m keeping my fingers crossed! Then again, they might be frozen together that way!