This is one of my favorite weeks of the year. You really can’t find much better golf excitement around the region.
If you’re heading to the tournament, I’ve got a couple of tips for you.
5. Get there early! Parking can get a little crazy, especially when it gets to the semi-final and final days.
4. Buy an all-day food and beverage pass. In the past it has been $15 for all the food and beer you can devour in the hospitality tent. I’m not sure on the rate this year, but you still can’t go wrong!
3. Wear comfortable shoes. You’ll probably be doing a lot of walking, unless you camp out at the stadium-style seating on hole number 10. There are very limited carts for the public to rent.
2. Remember to silence your phones and be considerate of what is going on around you. Feel free to follow along with your favorite players, or anyone for that matter, just keep noises to a minimum to keep these players in full concentration mode.
1. Take bug spray! This is the single most important tip I can give you, trust me! The gnats can be unbearable at this time of year on this course. I actually googled some other secrets to keep them away such as putting a dab of vanilla extract on the bill of your cap, or using dryer fabric sheets to keep them away!
The Lehigh Valley Amateur runs September 20 through September 28. The full schedule can be found here. If you want to stay up-to-date with what is going on, follow them on Twitter @greenpondcc or on Instagram at Green Pond Country Club.
And, if you see me, feel free to thank me for the bug spray tip! I’ll be the one following my favorite senior, Dave Blichar.
Best of luck to all the players out there this week. And, may the Golf Gods be with you!