Fair looking for ‘blue ribbon’ contestants
Allentown, Pa.—The Great Allentown Fair’s Premium List booklets, that detail the procedures for entering and categories for the fair’s blue ribbon competitions, are now available at the Allentown Fairground’s main and box offices. For exhibitors’ additional convenience, PDF versions of each book are available for downloading on the fair’s Web site at www.allentownfairpa.org.
Placement ribbons and cash prizes are awarded in each of the exhibitor categories judged the weekend before and throughout fair week running September 1-7. There are special contests for youth entrants in addition to the all-age categories.
Amateur crafters, collectors, cooks, photographers and others with creative talents have the opportunity to compete as well as area farmers and gardeners. All entries in these competitive exhibit categories will be displayed fairweek inside Agri~Plex, the fair’s main exhibit hall, sponsored by Lehigh Valley Health Network.
There are two separate guideline booklets—one for Agri~Plex entries and one for livestock entries. The final deadline for registering livestock is Saturday, July 18 and the final deadline for Agri~Plex entries is 6 p.m. Saturday, August 8. Ways to register are listed in the booklet.
Special sponsored contests provide enhanced prizes for competitors. A favorite must-see for fairgoers, the Lehigh Valley Cake Spectacular sponsored by the Fairgrounds Farmers Market, returns with categories for non-professional, professional and youth entrants to decorate cakes depicting the fair’s “Find Your Treasure” theme.
Each day of the fair, unique culinary contests are featured at the Culinary Contest Stage presented by PenTeleData. These special 12 (see list below*) are described in the Premium List but also have separate applications for entry, and they offer either prize money or gifts, and in some cases, the opportunity to go on to state or national competitions.
Another delight for fairgoers clamoring for the unusual chance to help taste and judge, the Cupcake WarFAIR competition sponsored by Egypt Star Bakery offers creative bakers enhanced prizes for coming up with unique confections and flavors. It also has a separate application for entry.
The fair typically exhibits more than 1,200 farm animals and over 9,000 products from farms, gardens and homes including arts and crafts. As an example of the vast number of award categories, there are 145 types of vegetables judged, excluding potatoes, a vegetable in its own department with 15 different varieties represented.
In response to the Avian Flu outbreak in certain areas of the nation, the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture has suspended all poultry, pigeons and egg shows throughout the Commonwealth this year. Entry categories included in the Premium Lists pertaining to these shows are not applicable. Any questions regarding this suspension should be directed to the department of Ag.
Premium lists and applications for the special contests can be picked up at the fair office behind the Ritz Barbecue on the Allentown Fairgrounds at 17th and Chew streets from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays- Fridays or by visiting the Fair’s Web site at www.allentownfairpa.org and downloading the list and applications there.
For more information, call 610-433-7541.
Allentown Fair Special Culinary Contests sponsored by PenTeleData
Extra-incentive prize contests described in the Fair Premium List but require the completion of separate applications available at the Fair Office.
1. 2015 PA Preferred™ Chocolate Cake Baking Contest sponsored by the PA State Association of County Fairs and PA Department of Agriculture’s PA Preferred™ program
2. Savory Pie Contest sponsored by Elite Gourmet Catering
3. Mitzi’s Table ‘Macaroni and Cheese with a Twist’ Contest
4. Pennsylvania’s Incredible Angel Food Cake Contest sponsored by Crystal Spring Farm
5. The Great American SPAM® Championship ‘Local and Regional Recipes’
6. Gold Medal Flour Cookie Contest
7. Clover Hill Vineyards & Winery’s Cooking with Wine Chili Contest
8. 2015 PA Preferred™ Chocolate Cookie, Brownie or Bar Baking Contest for ages 8-18 sponsored by the PA State Association of County Fairs and PA Department of Agriculture’s PA Preferred™ program
9. Bechdolts Orchard Fresh Peach Dessert Contest
10. Best “No Bake” Dessert Contest sponsored by A&A Plumbing
11. The 2nd Annual Cherylanne C. Neidlinger Memorial Lupus Awareness Contest featuring “The Great Allentown Fair’s Version of Chopped” in a Wing, Dipping Sauce and Sides Contest sponsored by Givler’s Auto Clinic and Trailer Sales
12. Blue Ribbon Apple Pie Contest sponsored by Grim’s Orchard and Family Farms
Contact: Bonnie C. Brosious/Terri Schwenk
The Great Allentown Fair Phone: 610-433-7541 Fax: 610-433-4005 Email: moc.riafnwotnellanull@riaf