Lehigh County Historical Society
Learn how the threads of local history form the tapestry of American life. Discover how Lehigh Valley industries, hospitals, and warehouses helped General George Washington defeat the British. Explore how local iron built America’s railroads, discover how Lehigh Valley cement built iconic American structures. The Lehigh County Historical Society is one of the largest historical societies in America. Our new 30,000 square foot headquarters museum The Lehigh Valley Heritage Museum (open year-round) includes 6 galleries with 15,000 square feet of exhibits. The Heritage Museum also houses one of the finest research libraries in the state of Pennsylvania, filled with rare documents and historical records for the genealogist and scholar alike.
Relive the past. The Society administers six historic sites (open seasonally) that date from Colonial America through the Industrial Revolution. Touch sheep’s wool or use a butter churn while you experience life on a Pennsylvania Dutch farm during your tour of our historic 1756 Troxell-Steckel Farm. See an old fashioned water-powered flour mill in action at Haines Mill, or step into a Colonial Stone Mansion built in 1770, at historic Trout Hall. Join us for lectures, programs, living history events, and much more. For details, visit our website or follow us on Facebook.
Travel into the magical mirror of time. Reflect on how our past shapes our present—and impacts your future. History provides a sense of gratitude and perspective in people’s lives. A person’s knowledge of history creates a more balanced and tolerant individual.
Visit us today; and remember as Abraham Lincoln said, “We cannot escape history.”
What's Nearby 432 W. Walnut St., Allentown
Upcoming Partner Events
Exhibit: “The American Presidency”:
- Every Tue.. from Oct 2 – Dec 31, 2017 (10:00 am – 4:00 pm)
- Every Wed.. from Oct 2 – Dec 31, 2017 (10:00 am – 4:00 pm)
- Every Thu.. from Oct 2 – Dec 31, 2017 (10:00 am – 4:00 pm)
- Every Fri.. from Oct 2 – Dec 31, 2017 (10:00 am – 4:00 pm)
- Every Sat.. from Oct 2 – Dec 31, 2017 (10:00 am – 4:00 pm)
- Every Sun.. from Oct 2 – Dec 31, 2017 (12:00 pm – 4:00 pm)
The World of History Lecture/Book Signing
- Feb 25, 2017 at 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
"Rescuing the Revolution" Lecture/Book Signing
- Mar 4, 2017 at 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Recent Blog Activity
- February 3rd, 2015Lehigh Valley Celebrates 'Black History Month'
- June 12th, 2012Artifest ... A Cultural Extravaganza in Lehigh Valley