Each Christmas season, towns, villages and cities throughout Germany host festive outdoor markets known as Christkindlmarkts, uniting the community in a celebration of the holiday season. While each Christkindlmarkt is unique, they all feature food and drink, holiday ornaments and plenty of handcrafted gifts.
It’s in this age-old tradition that Christkindlmarkt Bethlehem was established in downtown Bethlehem in 1993 by ArtsQuest. Started to complement the Christmas City’s existing celebration, the event has grown steadily and is now considered one of the premier holiday attractions in the Northeastern United States.
Recognized in 2007 as one of the top holiday markets in the world by Travel and Leisure Magazine, Christkindlmarkt Bethlehem showcases aisles of exquisite handmade works by the nation’s finest artisans, the heart-warming sounds of live Christmas music, delicious food and more. The event is also home to jolly, old St. Nicholas, who’s eager to greet children and hear their holiday wishes, and Germany’s Käthe Wohlfahrt, renowned for its authentic German ornaments, nutcrackers, smokers and collectibles.
Christkindlmarkt’s outdoor courtyard is a festive area showcasing entertaining ice carving demonstrations and the beautiful, 26-foot-tall Christkindlmarkt tree. Guests will also enjoy the GlassWorks area, where artists transform molten glass into beautiful holiday ornaments and works of art. Watch these talented artists hard at work and pick up a gorgeous, hand-blown piece for your home or tree.
Christkindlmarkt runs mid-November through late December
Upcoming Partner Events
- Every Thu from Nov 21 – Dec 19, 2013 (11:00 am – 8:00 pm)
- Every Fri from Nov 22 – Dec 20, 2013 (11:00 am – 8:00 pm)
- Every Sat from Nov 23 – Dec 21, 2013 (11:00 am – 8:00 pm)
- Every Sun from Nov 24 – Dec 22, 2013 (11:00 am – 6:00 pm)
Recent Blog Activity
- November 25th, 2013The Christmas City Comes Alive at Christkindlmarkt in South Bethlehem
- November 22nd, 2013This Weekend in Lehigh Valley: Christkindlmarkt, Chocolate and More
- November 19th, 2013Win the Ultimate Lehigh Valley Holiday Experience