Sigal Museum of the Northampton County Historical & Genealogical Society
Northampton County Historical & Genealogical Society
Established in 1906, members of the Northampton County Historical & Genealogical Society have preserved the past, served the present, and shaped the future of Northampton County through research, production of papers and books, and growing and maintaining collections in old and new places. We tell the story of American history made in Northampton County.
Northampton County Historical & Genealogical Society Museums
The Sigal Museum – 342 Northampton Street
Hours: Summer: Tues – Sat 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Sun 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Winter: Wed – Sat 10:00 a.m.– 4:00 p.m., Sun 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
The Society’s new flagship facility and its headquarters. Located within the Sigal Museum is the Jane S. Moyer Library & Research Facility, housing an extensive collection of Northampton County local and family history, and includes more than:
- 5,000 books
- 10,000 manuscript items
- 6,000 surname files
- 2,000 history vertical files
- 120,000 photographs
- Thousands of maps, drawings, and architectural plans detailing the history and families of Northampton County, PA
1753 Bachmann Publick House – 169 Northampton Street
(By appointment, and open some Saturdays 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.)
Contains the last remaining Northampton County colonial era court room. It is also the host facility for the Lenape Nation of PA’s Cultural Center, which is open on Saturdays.
Mixsell House Museum and Resource Center – 4th & Ferry Streets (By appointment)
In 1929 a gala was held to open the new Society headquarters at 4th and Ferry Streets. The building was donated by Miss Mary Mixsell and Mrs. Emilie Mixsell Lalor, granddaughters of Jacob Mixsell, who built the house.
Jacob Nicholas House – 458 Ferry Street (by appointment)
Named for is first resident, who lived there from 1807 until 1832. The family had eight children. Nicholas was a wood turner when he purchased the property, but later became a Durham boat captain. Durham boats carried freight between Easton and Philadelphia on the Delaware River. They were put out of the business in the 1830’s by the new canals. The house was occupied until 1961. Over the years tenants included an agriculture tool maker, shoe maker, undertaker, junk dealer, huckster, sign painter, policeman, an immigrant laborer from England, and a laborer for President Roosevelt’s Work Projects Administration.
What's Nearby 342 Northampton St., Easton
Upcoming Partner Events
Spirits of Easton exhibit at Sigal Museum
- Every day from Aug 10 – Feb 1, 2017 (10:00 am – 4:00 pm)
Cabinet of Curiosities exhibit
- Every day from Sep 3 – Mar 1, 2017 (10:00 am – 4:00 pm)
Colonial Dinner Theater: “Easton in Crisis 1755” at Bachmann Publick House
- Oct 7, 2016 at 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.