Borough of Coopersburg
Coopersburg’s Main Street was part of an Indian trail, later taken by horses and wagons, over two hundred years ago. Travel from the Moravian settlement in Bethlehem to the port of Philadelphia and return took at least five days. German immigrants, supplies for the colonists, and exports from the Moravians went through this port.
A hotel and stable were built in 1740, and settlement grew quickly; named Coopersburg in 1840, by 1879 a “square mile” was designated as the “Borough” of Coopersburg.
In the late 1800s, many reputable doctors opened practices in their borough homes. This was foreshadowing to the current trend of downtown Coopersburg – the “health and wellness” borough: two health food stores, a dance academy, a variety of salons and spas, and a fitness studio as well as numerous medical practitioners/specialists: a family practice, chiropractor, dentist, eye doctor, foot specialist, counseling, physical therapy, etc.
State Rout 309 runs parallel to Main Street and is the borough’s second business district, offering an assortment of stores, services, and restaurants that appeal to the community and communters.
Coopersburg offers two open spaces: the Southern Lehigh Living Memorial Community Park and “the meadows” on S. 4th Street (whose stream was once so powerful it provided waterpower for early business).
The Cooper homestead on Main Street became internationally famous for the annual Jersey Cattle Sales – the town would fill with buyers from all over the globe. The Linden Grove Sales Pavilion across the street – on the National Register of Historic Places – was constructed to allow sales to continue during inclement weather.
Borough Hall, built 1933, is located at town center – 5 North Main St. – and is also the home of the Coopersburg Historical Museum (open the first Sunday of each month, 1 – 4pm).