Borough of Hellertown
“The Center of Saucon Valley” – Hellertown was named after the area’s first family, the Hellers – who purchased 200 acres along the Saucon Creek and built Wagner’s Grist & Saw Mill in the mid 1700s. the Grist Mill has been restored and remains a historical attraction and pride of the community.
Hellertown was incorporated as a borough in 1872. Today, the borough is laid out as a typical downtown – primarily residential, with the business district along Main Street (also Rt. 412) in the middle of town. Exit 67 off of Interstate 78 brings travelers to the northernmost tip of the borough. Continuing southward on Main Street offers a panorama of businesses – services, restaurants for all lifestyles, a local newspaper, jeweler, pharmacy, and so much more. The downtown offers a glimpse into the mixed use urban cores of the past.
Walkers and bikers on the Saucon Rail Trail are encouraged to stroll the 1/2 block into the downtown off of the trail at the Water St. Park access point. This partially completed trail will traverse eight miles through the borough, Lower Saucon, Upper Saucon, and Coopersburg upon completion. Hellertown also has its own marsh – located adjacent to the Saucon Rail Trail just south of Water Street (once you cross the Silver Creek).
The Borough is also home to Lost River Caverns – a popular tourist stop. Thanks to Chief Burgess Morris Dimmick’s foresight in the early 1900s, the borough’s open space and parks offer recreational opportunities to the community – including a public swimming pool.
Borough Hall is located at the town center, adjacent to the clock tower at Detwiller Plaza. As with many of the properties in Hellertown, borough hall retains its historical integrity: the stone portion was built in 1818 by Henry Detwiller as his residence, and later became the Central Hotel before its current municipal use.